Thursday, May 2, 2013

How to Become More.......

I got a wonderful compliment from a friend recently.  My first instinct was to dismiss it..... "nah, not me"  Then after some thought I decided that maybe I should just accept it.  But to accept it, I also had to think about why I could believe it.  I know I am being very vague right now.... but stick with me.  I think that being vague is actually better here.

I decided I could believe it because I do believe that as I get older, I get better.  I am not necessarily faster, prettier, skinnier, or any of that which we most often judge ourselves and others.  But I am better.  I am better at figuring out what is important.  I am better recognizing my strengths and laughing at my weaknesses.  I am better at stretching myself to discover new things.  When I was in high school, my athletic ability was being able to march in marching band.  Within the past week?  I have learned that I am capable of finishing a half ironman.... and within the legal time limits!  The person I am today is NOT the person I was 25 years or so ago.

Now.... back to the question about why I could believe it.  Or, maybe the better question is why I have gotten better at those things.  That, I believe, has everything to do with surrounding myself with strong amazing people.  I remember as a teenager, instead of choosing my friends based on similarities, I tried to choose them based on their social standing in the school.  Obviously that didn't go over well.  Now, I could care less about social standings.  Instead, I have chosen to hang around people that I find interesting, that I have stuff in common with, and that I find inspiring. This has taken time and work.  I am not good at making friends.  But I have found them.  And  they are all amazing people.  They are constantly inspiring me to become better.

So, my advice is.... do you want to run?  Surround yourself with people who love running.  Do you want to cook/bake?  Surround yourself with those who have mastered that art in the kitchen.  Do you want to write?  Read more and surround yourself with those who have a passion for reading and writing.  Those amazing people are out there.  And when you surround yourself with them, you become more amazing as well.  And maybe..... just maybe..... you can help inspire someone else to find their own little bit of amazingness.


No comments:

Post a Comment