Monday, April 22, 2013

Needles In My Ankle

My ankle has been bothering me throughout my training.   I know... at my age, and with this type of training I am damn lucky it is just an ankle, right?  It is so hard to tell; what is injury, what is age, what is just another excuse to take it easy.

I have been trying to work out whatever kinks in my body that would possibly cause my ankle distress. I have been well acquainted with my foam roller.  I have done calf raises and calf stretches. I walk around the house on my toes and my heels.   But as the weeks went on, the stiffness and pain were getting more pronounced.  At this point, there were a couple of options.  One would be go see a doctor.  I am pretty sure the doctor would tell me to rest and/or expensive orthotics.  As I am inherently cheap, I was going to save that option for last.  The second option would be to go see a sports chiropractor.  There are a couple of fantastic ones in my area that I have seen in the past.  They are knowledgeable in Active Release Technique and really know how to work out those aches and pains that athletes get during training.  But.... they often come with rigorous PT (physical therapy) sessions.  And I am also inherently lazy.  So I decided to try acupuncture.  Cheap and I get to lay in a recliner for an hour napping?  I am so there!

This has been my first time trying acupuncture.  An ancient Chinese treatment that involves positioning of needles and aligning one's flow of qi, it certainly falls into alternative medicine.  My thoughts were that I had nothing to lose if it didn't work.  I mostly just want to get through the race and then plan on resting the ankle and letting whatever is injured heal.  Talking to the girl, she assured me that they could help.  The weird thing is, it has been helping.  With just the first treatment, I could walk on the ankle without any pain at all.  I will admit, it might be psychosomatic, but whatever works!  So twice a week, I head to the shop, have needles placed in my ankle and other spots around my body and "nap" for an hour.

It doesn't look pretty, does it?


Sunday:  8.25 run
Monday: 1300 swim

No comments:

Post a Comment