Saturday, April 20, 2013

Taper: My ideas

Taper is a word that athletes hate and love.  It is a hard part of training to navigate, and it took me many races to feel more comfortable with what a taper is.  That certainly doesn't mean I do it correctly.  One of the problems is there are many thoughts and opinions  about what a taper is and how to taper correctly.  I believe that each athlete has to figure it out on his/her own, kind of like nutrition.

I am tapering now for the half-ironman next Saturday.  (EEEEK!)  So this morning we went for a 2 hour bike ride.  It wasn't just time, although this mileage was certainly less than the last couple of weeks.  It is also effort.  A good taper for me needs to balance the desire to not lose what I have built up with the necessity to give my legs and body enough of a rest that they feel fresh and ready to go on race day.  That is hard to balance!  I head out on my bike.  Part of me wants to push hard.  Maybe one last good training ride will help me be stronger, I think.  Another part of me thinks.... TAPER!!!! I don't have to push at all!  I get to rest!  I know, though, that it needs to be somewhere in between that.  I want to still get a good training ride in.  But it shouldn't be all out.  To steal a word from my coach, I need to manage my ride.

It was mostly a good taper ride.  Until my partner decided that we should add a loop that is very very hilly.  First gear hilly.  Maybe even a bad word or two hilly.  And we were planning on ending our ride at our favorite breakfast spot, so my eating and nutrition wasn't as solid.  My legs were heavy at the end of this.  And we didn't have time for our 10 min. shake out run.  But that is ok.  A good training plan, just like life, needs to be flexible both mentally and physically.  Both of us are comfortable with those heavy brick legs after a bike, so although we would have liked to have that run, we both know it isn't a huge deal.  The saddest thing was we pushed our time way too late and she wasn't able to sit and enjoy our breakfast together.  Yes, I am more sad at missing her at breakfast than missing my run.  Maybe that is why I am not fast?  HA!

Anyways, my 2 hour "taper" ride is done.  Tomorrow is my 8 mile taper run.  I wanted to get a picture of the beauty that surrounds me around my bike rides, but never got my phone out.  Next time.

Thursday:  Track workout
Friday:  50 min spin:  15 min. warmup, 30 min. comfortably hard, 5 min. cool down
Saturday:  2 hour 20 min. bike ride/ 32 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment