Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Scattered and Sad Thoughts

I, like most everyone, was shocked and saddened to hear about the tragedy at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  I haven't watched the footage yet.  I am not sure I will.  Reading the new reports and seeing the still photos are almost too much.

A finish line is more than just a line.  It is an accomplishment.  It represents hours of hard work.  It represents achieving a goal.  But it is not just the line.  It is the spectators that fill that line.  It is the family and friends of the athletes that make that finish line so amazing.  Those spectators, whether they are there for you or other athletes, is what makes the finish line so powerful.  Last year, when I finished my first marathon, my family came out to cheer for me at multiple spots on the course.  I instructed my girls that as they waited to see me pass, to make sure they spent their time cheering on the other runners.  The spectators and their signs really do help every athlete that passes them.  Even when those signs weren't made for you, they can make you smile and make you think of something other than yourself on the course.

It was the spectators that were hit the hardest.  The ones who were cheering on, not just their loved ones, but every runner who was there yesterday.  I anxiously am waiting to hear the stories of heroism and generosity that I know will come.  Those stories are in every tragedy.  I spent my run this morning thinking about the athletes, thinking about the spectators, and keeping Boston in my heart and thoughts.  The run was hard.  Those thoughts were extra weight, but I am not complaining (although it sounds like it!)  I am blessed.  By my body's ability to run.  By my family supporting and cheering for me.  By being able to run many races and hear those spectators cheer me on.  By not knowing anyone personally that was injured yesterday.  And my heart and my run today is dedicated to all those who were personally affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment